Microgreens – Pea Shoots - €2.50
Pea shoots have a nutty, distinct and delicious flavour and are high in vitamins A, B, C and E. They are very easy to grow and are rich in calcium, chlorophyll, beta carotene and folic acid. Not only that but pea shoots will also add iron, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus and potassium to your diet.
They also look great on your salads and their tendrils can enhance a simple dish.
How to grow pea shoots
- Soak the peas for 24/36 hours. You will need quite a large container as they double in size.
- Rinse and drain the seeds well.
- Sprinkle the soaked peas over a tray of compost and press down gently.
- It is advisable to use a micro biologically tested compost such as Klassmanna Peat Free Seed Compost available from Fruit Hill Farm.
- Cover with a fine layer of compost.
- Keep compost moist (but not soaking).
- Best kept at a steady temperature of about 20oC
- Cut pea shoots after about two weeks.
Approx. seed count: 150g